Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kumbira 2013 Recap

If there is one food festival cum trade show that has totally identified itself with Cagayan de Oro, it's the homegrown Kumbira. Now in its 17th edition, it is the premier food event in the city and it is most anticipated by restaurants and cooking schools alike. 

I attended my first Kumbira as a blogger this year and I was quite excited. I'm also a comic book enthusiaist and the best part of the hobby is attending comic book conventions. I approached Kumbira as the Comic Con of food and cooking. It wasn't really; it was more of a trade show for people in the restaurant industry, rather than for ordinary attendees. Still, it was fun to be in a place where there was so much food and some of it was even free.

The main show was held in the Atrium of Limketkai Mall, where the creative food displays and live competitions were to be found. There were also satellite venues in some establishments around the mall where the seminars were conducted.

The Atrium was the place to be to fully experience all Kumbira 2014 had to offer. It exhibited the food displays done by both students and professionals. Most of the pictures I took were of it. I mentioned free food and some of the booths did offer free food sampling. Just be careful though, since some of the food apprently were not for public consumption. I made the faux pas of assuming some sausages were for sampling, which unfortunately were not. Thankfully, they were gracious enough to let it go before I embarrassed myself further.

So what was your Kumbira 2014 experience? Feel free to add your comments.

Here are a sample of the pictures I took. You can get more from the CDOmnivore FB page by clicking here.

Kumbira 2014 preparing for the opening ceremony.

Bread display entry.

Dessert display, this year's theme is fantasy.

Fried rice competition live on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment