Thursday, August 22, 2013

Just Desserts: Cheesecakes at Vienna Kaffehaus

One of the best places in indulges sweet in Cagayan de Oro is Vienna Kaffeehaus on the corner of Chaves and Velez Streets in the city. It's been in the city for a while, it has a nice Bohemian ambiance. One could almost expect Maria to come out of the kitchen singing that the hills are alive with the sound of music.

Vienna Kaffeehaus has been around in the city for quite some time that most newer residents or visitors don't really know it is there, but it has been a fixture for almost two decades. Still, it seems that their furnishings are almost as old. The table we had was quite worn and its laminate flaking away.

They still have the best cheesecakes in the city, so naturally, my grad school classmate and I ordered two of them, their Chocolate and Blueberry cheesecakes.

From right, Bluberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Cheesecake
 and a cup of Schwarztee (German for black tea).
They also need to refurbish their furniture.
What I like about their cheesecake is the texture. Most commercially available cheesecakes rely too much on gelatin to smooth and fill it out. This one I could definitely taste and feel the cheese. It's a bit sweet, so to dial down the sweetness I paired it with some German black tea.

This is supposed to be a dessert post but ordered some Bruschettas too, as I was curious on how they would prepare their appetizer and it was glorious! It had the tomato salad in olive oil but it had real olive bits too and it was sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. I just love olives and that just became my favorite appetizer in this cafe.

Olives in my Bruschetta? Win!

So dessert and then an appetizer, I seem to have mixed up the order of my meal. I'll definitely be back to try some of their main courses. I've heard good things about their pasta and would definitely would want to see for myself if it makes my grade.


A closer look at the Blueberry Cheesecake.

Chocolate Cheesecake

Six out of seven of my students
love the desserts in Vienna Kaffehaus!
 
Google Maps directions to Vienna Kaffehaus:


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment