Monday, September 30, 2013

Mooon Cafe at Centrio Mall. Yes, their name has 3 O's.

Mooon Cafe. The Mexican inspired restaurant  that brought the taste of Latin North America to Cagayan de Oro. For a while, it was the the go-to place to satisfy the craving for tacos, burritos and chimichangas. It originally was located at the ground floor of Robinson's Mall in Limketkai Center. It has since moved to the second floor of the brand spanking new Centrio Mall. It also appeared that in the intervening years since my last visit, Mooon Cafe made some interesting changes to the menu. The Mexican entrees were still there, but there was a marked shift towards more standard Filipino fare like Crispy Pata.

The family (i.e. my dad) had a hankering for some Mexican that we finally had to try Mooon Cafe for the first time. We initially went to their location at Robinson's, but they have already transferred their operation to the second floor in Centrio. With what we ordered, it was pretty obvious that we were going for a Mexican theme. Except for mom, who had the Mooon Steak, most of the meal pretty much featured corn flour.

What We Ordered:
Chimichanga
Chimichanga. This was once my favorite dish to order at Mooon. I couldn't find any other restaurant in Cagayan de Oro that had this on the menu. It's essentially a deep-fried burrito slathered with sour cream. I could eat two in one sitting.

This Beef Taco actually looked pretty inviting,
 but I wouldn't trade my chimichanga for it.

Beef Taco. My dad had the Beef Taco and it really looked appetizing at first but it eventually underwhelmed him because he expected more lettuce filling. It actually looked good but I wouldn't trade my chimichanga for it.
Quesadilla Veracruz

Quesadilla Veracruz. I actually enjoyed their version of the quesadilla, very cheesy.

Nachos. Now this was underwhelming. No melted cheese sauce and a very tepid salsa. It had what looked like store bought chips and it was plated uninterestingly. It was so uninteresting that I didn't take a photo of it.
Moon Steak

Mooon Steak. My mom had this as her main course. It was pretty much a ordinary steak flooded with gravy added with extra starch for thickening. It was passable but it was nothing spectacular.

Verdict.
My dad won't be coming back any time soon but I probably would just for some chimichangas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment